WELCOME! We are glad that God brings us together to worship. This Sunday, April 26, 2015 is the Fourth Sunday of Easter.
Scriptures: Psalm 23 1 John 3:16-24 John 10:11-18
We invite everyone to enjoy refreshments, conversation and fellowship with us after worship. We look forward to talking with you. The church belongs to Christ. We are a caring, inclusive, diverse church and welcome people of all races and nationalities, those struggling with addictions, rich and poor, regardless of marital status or sexual orientation. Christ welcomes all, and so do we. We are committed to lives of service to people in need and to changing the unfair systems that keeps them in need, and we invite you to join us in our ministries. Trust in Christ is the sole requirement for membership. Anyone wishing to take this important step is cordially invited to contact the church office.
Children, even noisy children, are very welcome during worship.
Large print bulletins/hymns are available. If needed, please ask a greeter for a copy.
SUNDAY: Worship 9:30 ● Refreshments 10:30-11:00
- Sunday School 11:00
- Korean Presbyterian Church – 11:00 (Sanctuary Building)
- Next Sunday, May 3, 2015, following worship, Elder Ryan Smith and I will be serving communion to home bound folks who are unable to worship with us in church. If you would like to receive home bound communion, or if you know someone who would like to receive home bound communion in the future, please notify the church office.
- I am interested in developing a sermon feedback group. What is that? It’s a group of people who commit to meeting and studying with me on a regular basis as I continue to develop sermons which are meaningful and significant to the congregation. This group will meet on Wednesday mornings from 11am – 12pm in the Pastor’s Study and will begin in May. We will study various homiletical styles and exegetical processes to help inform the process. You’ll be asked to provide regular feedback regarding the delivery of the sermon, the content of the sermon, and the relevance of the sermon to the life of the members of our community. If you’re interested, please call the church office. I’d like to begin this group in May.
- The presbytery has a policy of conducting triennial visits with the Sessions of our member churches. The purpose of these visits is to get to know the churches a little better, to find ways to enhance relationships, and to strengthen the ties that bind us together. I’d like to do the same with all of you and to come spend some time with you in your homes. I have no agenda other than visiting and deepening the bonds between us. Over the next few weeks you can sign up for a time for a visit by signing up on the bulletin board in the foyer, by calling the church office, or by emailing me (email@example.com ). If you’d prefer to meet somewhere other than you home, that can be arranged as well. For those who don’t sign up, we will contact you to set up something.
- Have you ever thought about sharing your gifts and talents in worship? Maybe you can play an instrument or can sing a solo? Maybe you can assist with worship leadership? Maybe you like to act out the Scriptures? Maybe you like to be “behind the scenes”. We can use your assistance. I am looking for 3-5 people to commit to working with me to plan out and organize worship for a 2-3 month period. What does that entail? It requires a commitment to prayer, to leadership, and to weekly meetings to organize and develop the worship experience. Worship planning as a group provides the entire worshiping body with more breadth of worship experiences that one person cannot develop on their own. We develop the entire liturgy based on the Scriptures for the day. We can stick with the lectionary or we can develop themes for worship. The first worship planning team will begin planning worship for June and July. Contact me via e-mail or call the church office if you’re interested. If you can’t do it at this time but are interested in being part of this experience at a future date, contact me and I’ll put you on the list for the next group of worship planners for August/September, or October/November/December. You can also sign up in the foyer.
- Have you logged into your personal account in our church management system? As previously mentioned, we are in the process of updating all records in order to enhance our communication with the entire congregation. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. To access your personal account, got to https://me.churchmembershiponline.com/ enter your email address in the box entitled “Need Your Login Information?” you will be sent an email with your password.
- NURSERY CARE IS AVAILABLE DURING WORSHIP THROUGH SUNDAY SCHOOL HOUR (9:15AM-12:15PM). Please register your children to ensure the best care for them.
- CHILDREN’S BULLETINS are available on the Children’s table in the Dickson foyer.
- TIME FOR CHILDREN during worship provides a way for children to become more involved in the service. All children are invited and encouraged to come forward at this time or they can remain seated with their families.
- Sunday School Classes for elementary through high school meet in the Westminster House.
- Adult Seminar I meets in Classroom #3 and is studying Crucified and Crowned by William Barclay. Don Eitzman is the discussion leader.
- Adult Seminar II meets in the Christian Education Office. This is an interactive opportunity open to anyone who wants to extend their understanding of the scripture and sermon in this week’s worship service. Come join this thoughtful group discussion! Paul Carter is the discussion leader.
- Adult Seminar III meets in Classroom #4 and is studying “The Cross in Our Context: Jesus and the Suffering World” by Douglas John Hall. Gwen Lombard is the discussion leader.
JOYS AND CONCERNS OF THE CONGREGATION
- STUDENTS: We welcome all students and we lift our prayers for them wherever they are on their educational journey.
- MILITARY MEMBERS: We pray for our Country and all those that serve in all military branches, wherever they are, and for all American diplomats who represent us around the world.
- INDIVIDUAL AND FAMILY CONCERNS: Prayers are requested for: Cecil Baker; Linda Ellwood; Jonathan Gil; Kenneth Jones (Norma Green’s Godson); Lucille Schlichting; Millie Scott; and Margaret Seymour.
- MISSIONARIES FROM THE PRESBYTERY OF ST. AUGUSTINE
- OUR SISTER CHURCH: Hector Mendez is the Pastor of La Primera Iglesia Presbiteriana of Havana, Cuba.
Session has called for a Congregational Meeting immediately following Worship this Sunday, April 26th for the purpose of voting on the Nominating Committee.
April is Water Conservation Month across Florida – This Sunday, April 26th at 11 a.m. in the Community Building, Tyler Mcmillan, will be giving a presentation. He is with Living Waters for the World, a program of the Living Waters Synod, PCUSA.
Westminster has been supporting the Healthy Women Healthy Families Project for several years by participating in the Mother’s Day Project. The problems of poverty and depravation across the world are particularly born by women and children. Healthy Women Healthy Families is a program that provides grants to fund education, health and community-development activities in impoverished areas . Beginning in 2014 Healthy Women Healthy Families is expanding to include countries outside of Africa and is also broadening its scope to include literacy, education, and food security issues. The Mother’s Day Project has been cosponsored by World Mission and Presbyterian Women since 2001. It is an opportunity to honor your mother or other important women in your life by selecting Mother Day cards with pictures and information about the women and children served in this program and making a donation to this program. There will be a table in the Dickson Foyer during coffee hour Sunday, April 26th and Sunday May 3rd where you can pick up your cards and make a donation.
Our Monthly Covered Dish Congregational Luncheon will be this Sunday, April 26th. Please bring enough to share with others. Everyone is welcome!!
The Administration Committee will meet after the luncheon on this Sunday, April 26th.
The Young Adults will meet at 4:00 pm in the Community Building.
Caring for God’s Creation Koinonia Group will NOT meet today, but will meet next Sunday, April 3rd at 6:45 pm at the Hostetler’s residence.
Bible Study meets each Tuesday at 10:30 am in Classroom #3.
Pastor’s Coffee Hour is each Thursday, from 9-11 am at the Coffee Culture (2020 NW 13th St). Stop by and spend some time chatting about anything you’d like. No appointment is necessary, just stop by and get a cup of coffee.
LITURGISTS – We Need You!-–Liturgists are needed for May through December. Please sign up on the Servants List Rotation Calendar located on the bulletin board. Liturgists are a vital part of our Sunday Service.
FREE TO A GOOD HOME – Spider plants (Mala madre), sword plants (a vine), wild iris. Will deliver to the church. Call Gladys Lane @ 332-3884 Happy Earth Day!
If you wish to send Jonathan a card or letter, address the envelope as follows: Gil, Jonathan M. DC#G24622 Jefferson Correctional Institution 1050 Big Joe Road, Monticello, FL 32344
Please continue to pray for the ICE detainees in the Baker County Jail who, separated from loved ones, await disposition of their cases. They suffer loneliness, uncertainty, and fear for the future.
The Outreach Committee is trying a new communication idea for spreading the word about specific, short-term compassion actions that are available to everyone. Each week, we will post on the bulletin board in the foyer information that we receive about needs in our community that may appeal to different members of the congregation. It may be a Habitat work day, a need for children’s underwear at a local school or a fund raiser for Family Promise. We encourage everyone to spend a couple of minutes during the coffee hour checking out the board and finding something that you want to help with. We will try to have a contact person listed, but feel free to contact any Outreach Committee member for more information. Let’s all get involved in making life a little better!
If you are ill or if you are aware of anyone else that is ill, please contact the church office or Barbara Scott, Parish Nurse @ 372-7191. Should you have someone or something you would like to add, or any corrections or deletions to the JOYS AND CONCERNS OF THE CONGREGATION for our weekly Newsletter, please contact the church office. Announcements for the Sunday worship bulletin are due to the church office by noon the prior Wednesday.
Congregational Care – If you or someone you know in the congregation would like a visit from the Pastor or someone else from the church, please share this information with the Pastor, one of the Elders, or call the Church Office.
Currently there are three active Koinonia Groups with about 45-50 people involved. Koinonia groups offer church members, friends and visitors’ fellowship, support during times of joy and concerns, and encouragement as we seek to live our lives in faith. These groups are always open and welcome anyone who would like to join. For more information, there is a handout on the table in the Dickson foyer by the entrance. Also, you can contact Don Eitzman (371-9494) or Jeanette Hostetler (505-5321) for additional information.
If you need to use a room in either the Sanctuary or Community Building, please contact the church office to schedule the space as early as possible. We have many groups/organizations that use our facilities and arrangements must be made. This includes scheduling rooms to hold church committee meetings and/or functions.
Elder of the Month for April is Don Eitzman
Contact Don at 352-316-1627 regarding emergencies in the absence of the pastor.
Elder of the Month for May is Ryan Smith
Contact Ryan at 352-494-3137 regarding emergencies in the absence of the pastor.
Church Events for the Week, April 26 – May 3, 2015
|THIS WEEK WITH WPC|
|Sunday||04/26/15||9:30 AM||Worship Service|
|10:30 AM||Called Congregational Meeting|
|11:00 AM||Sunday School Hour|
|11:00 AM||Living Waters Presentation|
|12:00 PM||Congregational Luncheon|
|4:00 PM||Young Adults|
|Tuesday||04/28/15||10:30 AM||Bible Study|
|Wednesday||04/29/15||5:30 PM||Choir Practice|
|7:30 PM||College Ministry|
|Thursday||04/30/15||9:00 AM||Pastor’s Coffee Hour|
|Sunday||05/03/15||9:30 AM||Worship Service|
|11:00 AM||Sunday School Hour|
|4:00 PM||Young Adults|
|5:30 PM||Youth Group|
|6:45 PM||Caring for God’s Creation Koinonia|
|Pastor||Rev. Larry Green||Parish Nurse||Barbara Scott|
|Pastor Emeritus||Rev. Dr. Glenn W. Dickson||Young Adult Leader||Deanna Henriksen|
|Korean Fellowship||Rev.Choong Hong Kim||Treasurer||Sam Trickey|
|Music Director||Dr. Will Kesling||Venturers||Lucille Schlichting|
|Interim Organist||Lee Hyun Jeong Iang||Admin. Assistant||Gail W. Acree|
Session: Christine Blythe, Don Eitzman, Sam Trickey, Carol Alderson(Clerk), Ryan Smith and Amber Switzer. Bethany Livingston, Paul Carter, and Tom Webster.
Committee Chairpersons: Administration: Gwen Lombard; Building & Grounds: Tom Webster & Ryan Smith; Christian Education: Bob Lombard; Congregational Care: Mary Lou Eitzman; Outreach: Jeanette Hostetler & Debbie Powell; Worship: Don Eitzman;
How to Find Us:
Church Phone: 352-378-4032
Church Fax: 352-378-0914
Church E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Church Website: http://www.wpcgainesville.org
Pastor’s Cell Phone: 352-210-8753
Pastor’s E-mail: email@example.com